This site is all about bread machine recipes! It features over 55 traditional bread machine recipes. We don’t stop there though! You’ll find 20 recipes for the dough setting of your machine, 3 incredible recipes for the cake setting and we’ve even got a few recipes for the home made (programmable) bread machine course. We don’t leave the jam setting out either!
Last Updated January 31, 2023 – Originally published on July 23, 2020
Table of Contents
- Search for the Bread Machine Recipe You Want
- Search by Category
- Most Popular Bread Machine Recipes
- My Favorite Bread Machine Recipes
- Complete List of Bread Machine Recipes
- Bread Machine Recipes for the Dough Setting
- Bread Machine Recipes for the Cake Setting
- Recipes for the Home Made (Programmable) Setting
- More Bread Machine Recipe Options
- Bread Machine Troubleshooting
Search for the Bread Machine Recipe You Want
Enter the name of the recipe or a key ingredient in the search box.
Search by Category
All the bread machine recipes and articles are divided into categories. Here’s a list of categories on the site to help you find the recipe you want.
Most Popular Bread Machine Recipes
Every year I update the list of list of the most popular bread machine recipes and articles on the site. I go into more detail on that page, but here’s a quick list of the most popular recipes for 2022.
I think this recipe has been at the top spot ever since I started the website. You’ll love this bread! We found the crust to be extra flaky and the bread had a cake-like texture. Yum!!
If your machine has a sweet cycle you can use that for this bread. My Zojirushi doesn’t have a sweet cycle. So I make this recipe using the basic cycle.
This pound cake recipe tastes great and is so easy to put together.
Note that I use bread flour in this recipe. That’s because I use bread flour for everything. All-purpose flour or cake flour should also work.
Here’s the story on this recipe, one day I had a few extra eggs in the refrigerator. So I decided to try and make egg bread. I’m so glad that I did!
The crust is soft and is flaky on the top. The bread’s texture is soft but has a solidity that makes it a natural for sandwiches.
Eggs bring a lot to this or any bread recipe. First of all, eggs bring color, nutrition and a little extra flavor to any bread recipe. Eggs also contain lecithin. That’s a fat that makes the ingredients mix better and gives the bread a nice crumb.
#4 – Bread Machine Bagels
I was so nervous about making bagels because of the water bath. You know what? It’s no big deal. These bagels taste great and aren’t hard to make.
I tried and tried to find a good recipe for hot dog buns. The recipes I tried made buns that looked fine and tasted fine, but the “hinge” always broke. I’d end up with two hot dog halves and a hot dog. Not good.
Then I tried this recipe for hot dog buns. Success!
My Favorite Bread Machine Recipes
In no particular order, here are my current top five bread machine recipes.
#1 – Sour Milk Bread
I make this bread about once a week. It’s what we use for sandwiches and toast. It tastes great. It’s easy to make. It’s not fancy. It’s just really, really good.
#2 – Eggnog Bread
It’s no wonder that my second-favorite bread recipe is a variant of my favorite bread recipe. This puts a holiday spin on sour milk bread. I love it . . . a lot!!
#3 – Pizza Dough
This is a recipe that The Man of the House makes us about once a month. Homemade pizza is wonderful!!
Again, this recipe is a variant of another recipe in my list of favorites. What happens if you take the pizza dough recipe and shape it into hamburger buns instead? Magic. My friends, magic is what happens. Try it and you’ll see.
#5 – Beer Bread
I am always amazed that such tasty bread can come from an ingredient that I so dislike. I’m not a fan of beer, but I adore beer bread.
Complete List of Bread Machine Recipes
Here’s a list of bread machine recipes on the site in alphabetical order.
- Anadama Bread RecipeWhen I first read this Anadama bread recipe, I was a little dubious. Molasses and cornmeal? All doubts disappeared after tasting it. Anadama bread is sweet and the cornmeal gives it an interesting texture. Plus, I love its dark brown color.
- Anytime Eggnog Bread RecipeI’ve recreated the taste of eggnog bread, but without the eggnog. This bread smells heavenly while it toasts, filling the room with scents of cinnamon and nutmeg. Add some cream cheese and you’re in heaven!!
- Apple Cider Cinnamon Bread RecipeThis bread is tasty and smells wonderful when toasted. It's also a good way to use up extra apple cider.
- Applesauce Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineIn general, the Man of the House does not like bread containing wheat flour. However, he makes an exception for this wonderful bread. Applesauce, raisins, and cinnamon . . . what's not to love?
- Apricot Bread RecipeYou'll enjoy this tasty bread made with apricot preserves. The bread is fruity and has an almost cake-like texture. It tastes fabulous toasted and covered in cream cheese. I love it!!
- Banana Oat BreadThis is a hearty breakfast bread that will hold you until lunch. It's also a great way to use overripe bananas. You'll love the combination of white flour, whole wheat flour, oats, bananas, and raisins.
- Banana Raisin Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineI had a few extra bananas that I wanted to use up. I saw this recipe and thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did! Banana raisin bread is dense, soft and has a lovely banana flavor.
- Blue Cheese Potato Bread RecipeBlue cheese potato bread has all the texture and softness of potato bread with a slight blue cheese flavor. We made this last weekend and paired it with a hearty soup. Very nice!
- Bread Machine – Cheese and Onion Bread RecipeCheck out this cheese and onion bread recipe for the bread machine. The aroma while the bread is baking is wonderful. And the bread tastes even better!! Cheese and onion bread was made for chicken or turkey sandwiches.
- Bread Machine Bagel RecipeYou'll really like this bread machine bagel recipe. The bagels are chewy and delicious. They're so much better than store-bought bagels. They're also easy to make!
- Bread Machine Beer BreadWe love this bread machine beer bread recipe! The flavor is hearty and kind of “old-world”. The loaf is soft and chewy with a crunchy crust.
- Bread Machine Cheese BreadHere's the thing about this bread machine cheese bread recipe, it doesn't actually taste like cheese. BUT it is very good and you won't regret making it. It has a soft, slightly chewy texture. It's sturdy enough to use for sandwiches.
- Bread Machine Oatmeal BreadThis bread machine oatmeal bread recipe makes a soft, hearty loaf of bread. I don't know if it's the texture or the flavor, but I love it! We used it to make some grilled pastrami sandwiches that were out of this world.
- Bread Machine Onion BreadBread machine onion bread tastes great and the aroma while cooking is fantastic!! It's so easy to put together. Just four ingredients!
- Bread Machine Potato BreadThis bread machine potato bread recipe makes tasty, moist bread that's perfect for sandwiches. It's also really easy to make because it uses potato flakes.
- Bread Machine Recipe for Peanut Butter BreadPeanut butter bread is thick and chewy. I like it toasted and topped with Nutella. One reader wrote, "I used this bread to make French toast and topped it with jam instead of syrup. It was peanut butter and jelly French toast! Delicious!!"
- Bread Machine Rosemary BreadBread machine rosemary bread is lovely, firm and smells amazing while it bakes. You can use the dried herb, but fresh rosemary makes it even more delicious!
- Bread Machine Taco Bread RecipeI'm just not sure what happened with the top of this bread machine taco bread. BUT the bread tastes good and I love the fact that it contains whole wheat flour.
- Bread Machine Wheat BreadI enjoy a nice hearty bread. This bread is indeed hearty, without being overwhelmingly so. This recipe can be cooked either on the basic or wheat setting.
- Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread RecipeTalk about comfort food, you'll love this buttermilk oatmeal bread recipe! The bread is very soft and as you eat it, you'll notice a slight buttermilk tang. The oatmeal gives it some nice substance.
- Canned Pea Bread RecipeThe bread is very similar to potato bread. It's moist and chewy while being sturdy enough for sandwiches. It's also very easy to make as you let the bread machine mash the peas.
- Challah Hamburger BunsThis challah hamburger bun recipe makes the best hamburger buns I've ever had! The challah hamburger buns are different because they're fluffier, softer and sweeter. They can totally take your hamburgers to the next level!
- Challah Hot Dog Bun RecipeLooking for a soft, pillowy hot dog bun? Then you'll love this challah hot dog bun recipe. The buns are are just so tender. Plus, the egg wash makes them so pretty.
- Cherry Bread in the Bread MachineThe bread has a cake-like texture and a great taste. Don't even get me started about the aroma as the bread bakes or toasts. Lovely!! This bread is great any time, but especially nice for special meals or holidays.
- Chocolate Bread RecipeLooking for a delicious way to start your day? Check out this chocolate bread recipe. Imagine toasted chocolate bread topped with peanut butter? Yes, it's as good as it sounds!
- Chocolate Coconut BreadChocolate plus coconut is a hard combination to beat! This bread is great for breakfast. I toast it and put peanut butter on top. Yum!
- Dairy-Free Eggnog BreadCheck out this dairy-free version of our eggnog bread recipe. This vegan-friendly recipe uses almond milk nog and is a tasty substitute for the traditional type of eggnog bread.
- Dark Rye Bread Machine RecipeI adore dark rye bread. It's hearty and has a nice rye flavor. The Man of The House uses it to make great corned beef sandwiches. It also goes well with soup or stews.
- Dill Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineDill bread has a lovely taste and texture. It's perfect for toasting and topping with cream cheese. This savory bread is also great for sandwiches.
- Easy Bran Bread RecipeThis tasty bread is good for people who want more fiber in their diet, but don't enjoy wheat bread. The fiber comes from bran flakes cereal. You'll love this easy bran bread recipe!
- Easy Orange BreadThis recipe is a variation on my favorite bread recipe, sour milk bread. I used regular (not sour) milk for this, but sour milk might taste fine too. If you make a sour milk version be sure to let me know.
- Eggnog Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineEvery year I wait for eggnog to appear in the grocery stores. Not only does that mean that the holidays are coming, it means that it's time for eggnog bread! This yummy, easy bread recipe is great for the holidays as well as breakfast on chilly autumn or winter mornings.
- Extra Light Rye BreadDo you want to try rye bread, but are a little nervous? Then this recipe is for you. It contains a small amount of light rye flour along with some caraway seeds. The bread has a cake-like texture that's quite nice.
- French Herb BreadThis recipe calls for Herbes de Provence.Not familiar with this fancy-sounding herb blend? It’s a mixture of savory, fennel, basil, thyme, lavender flowers and other herbs.
- Hawaiian Bread RecipeYou’ll love this Hawaiian bread recipe! It’s easy to make and so good! The crust is extra flaky. The bread is sweet and has a cake-like texture. So good!!
- Homemade Egg Bread RecipeI had a few extra eggs in the refrigerator so I decided to give this recipe a try. I'm glad I did. The bread is a winner! The crust is soft and had a lovely flakiness on the top. The bread texture is soft, but has a solidity that makes it a natural for sandwiches. Your sandwich will not fall apart with this bread!
- Honey Bread RecipeYou'll love this honey bread recipe. The bread is soft and has a great flavor. (Not too sweet!) You can make it with ingredients you probably have on hand.
- Italian Herb Bread RecipeThe Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese make this bread smell and taste amazingly good. It's really soft and perfect for toasting thick slices in the oven to serve with soup or salads.
- Light Rye Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineThis was one of the first rye bread recipes I ever made. The occasion? We used it for corned beef sandwiches with our Saint Patrick's Day leftovers.
- Low-Salt Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineLooking for a low-salt bread recipe for the bread machine? This recipe makes low-salt bread that has a great texture. AND you don't need a special setting of your bread machine to make it.
- Molasses Oatmeal Bread RecipeCheck out this bread machine recipe for Molasses Oatmeal Bread. The molasses adds to the flavor and gives the loaf a wonderful, dark brown color.
- Orange Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineThis orange bread recipe is one of the first bread machine recipes I ever tried. The bread is great toasted and slathered with cream cheese. What's the secret ingredient? Zest!
- Orange Raisin Brioche Recipe for the Bread MachineBrioche, as you may know, is a type of yeast bread that originated in France. The eggs and butter in the bread make it rich and tender. In other words, this is some seriously delicious bread!
- Pepper Jack Cheese BreadPepper Jack cheese bread is a little unusual. The recipe includes two kinds of cheese as well as Tabasco sauce. Wild, right? I hope you like the bread as much as we do!
- Pepper Pear BreadPepper? Pears? When I read this recipe I knew I had to try it. The bread turned out dense and had a thick crust. One feature of this recipe is that it contains no oil.
- Popular Bread Machine Recipes and ArticlesThe website has two main sections, recipes and troubleshooting. I like to look back and see what recipes and articles were the most popular during the past year. It helps me to see what you liked the most and what you found most helpful.
- Raisin Bread Recipe for the Bread MachineHave you ever had homemade raisin bread? If not, then you haven't had raisin bread. The difference between this and store-bought raisin bread is night and day. You'll be amazed at how good this bread tastes.
- Raspberry Bread RecipeThere's no getting around it. Raspberry bread is purple. AND it has orange flecks of zest. It’s the kind of bread that you’d expect to find in a Dr. Seuss book. When you taste raspberry bread, none of that matters though. It’s fruity and sweet and the texture is amazing. You'll love this raspberry bread recipe.
- Rhubarb BreadLast Updated on September 25, 2019 I’d like to start out this rhubarb bread recipe with an apology. It requires one hard-to-find ingredient, rhubarb jam. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it sold in stores. (Oddly enough Amazon.com carries it.) I didn’t get my jam from the grocery store or from Amazon though. I got my ...
- Rye Bread RecipeThis rye bread recipe contains a mixture of rye flour and bread flour. The bread is firm, but also soft and moist. Plus, rye flour is a good source of fiber.
- Sandwich Bread – Two Pound Loaf Using the Home Made SettingCheck out this sandwich bread recipe. If you have a Zojirushi, I'll give you the custom programming using the home made function to get the very best loaf possible!
- Sandwich Bread Recipe – One Pound LoafOne thing that surprised me about working with a one-pound machine was just how cute the bread is. It's the perfect size and shape for sandwiches. The bread's taste and texture are also great.
- Sauerkraut BreadSauerkraut bread is dense and soft. The recipe contains rye flour and molasses. Those ingredients are key in making this bread. It's a little chewy and excellent for Reuben sandwiches.
- Sour Milk Bread Recipe – Two Pound LoafI use this sour milk bread recipe all the time. Simple ingredients! Great taste and texture! No wonder this is the recipe that I make the most often. AND you don't even need to have sour milk! Note that this recipe now has high altitude instructions.
- Sour Milk Rye Bread RecipeYou'll love this bread machine recipe for sour milk rye bread. It's moist and tastes a little like sourdough bread because of the sour milk. It doesn't have a rye flavor, but it does have a subtle heartiness. The bread has a good texture that makes it a natural for sandwiches.
- Spelt Bread RecipeWe really liked this spelt bread recipe. The crust of the bread was crisp and hard. However, the bread itself was soft. Spelt bread is delightfully hearty!
Bread Machine Recipes for the Dough Setting
Do you want to take your bread making to the next level? I’m talking homemade hamburger buns and hot dog buns. Pizza dough made from scratch and delicious sandwiches made with your own hoagie rolls.
Bread Machine Recipes for the Cake Setting
Check out these recipes for your bread machine’s cake or quick bread setting. Note that these are some of the most popular recipes on my site!
Recipes for the Home Made (Programmable) Setting
To make bread the machine goes through a series of steps, called a setting or course. In the basic course, the machine warms up, kneads, allows the bread to rise, beats the dough down and then has the dough rise again. Finally, the machine bakes the bread.
The home made function allows you to alter these steps to make your own bread machine setting or course.
More Bread Machine Recipe Options
- Banana Jam Recipe for the Bread Machine
- White Bread Recipes
- Wheat Bread Recipes
- Rye Bread Recipes
- Semolina Pizza Crust
- Spelt Bread Recipe
- Fruit Bread Recipes
- Herb Bread Recipes
- Bread Mix Reviews
Bread Machine Troubleshooting
Most bread machine problems can be solved! I’ve written articles about challenges you may face when using your bread machine. Here are some of the most popular articles on my site.
Bread Troubleshooting – Bread That Rises and Then Falls – The bread is in the machine and smells great. You looked at it earlier and the dough looked fine. However, when the final beep goes off, you open the lid and discover that the bread has fallen or collapsed.
This article has tips that will help with bread that collapses during baking.
What Yeast to Use in Your Bread Machine – In 2020 I spent a couple of days making a dozen loaves of bread with different types of yeast. I experimented with active dry yeast, instant yeast, bread machine yeast and quick dry yeast.
The article talks about the difference between different types of yeast, based on my experiments. I’ll also tell you what kind of yeast I use in the bread machine.
The Missing Bread Machine Manual – There’s a lot of great information to be had in your bread machine owner’s manual. But what if you don’t have one? Here’s a list of links to some online bread machine manuals.
Bread Flour Versus All-Purpose Flour – So just what type of flour are you supposed to use in the bread machine? The short answer is to use bread flour in the bread machine . . . mostly. Read the article to find out the difference between the other types of flour and why some types of all-purpose flour might work just fine in the bread machine.