This is for a two-pound machine and the recipe uses the basic setting.
I made this bread for the first time this week and I really like it. It has a soft, slightly chewy texture. It’s sturdy enough to use for sandwiches. The cheese gives it a slightly orange color.
But here’s the thing, I didn’t think that the bread tasted like cheese. I almost didn’t share the recipe for that reason. However, the recipe does have three things going for it:
- The bread really is good. OK, it’s not cheesy, but it’s very nice.
- This would be a good use for extra cheese.
- I used sharp cheddar in this recipe. It’s possible that if you used a different cheese, maybe a spicy pepper jack, that you’d have a different result.
Strictly speaking, I suppose I should have added the cheese at the add beep. But I haven’t had good results with that in the past. So I put the cheese in at the start.
Check on the dough after five or ten minutes of kneading. Pop the top of the bread machine to get a look at the dough. It should be a smooth, round ball. If it’s too dry add liquid a tablespoon at a time until it looks OK. If it looks too wet, add flour a tablespoon at a time until it looks OK. Most of the time though, the above amounts should be just right Here’s how mine looked. No adjustment was necessary.
And here’s the finished product!
If anyone tries this and uses a different type of cheese, I’d be interested to hear about your results.
- 3/4 C. Milk
- 1/2 C. Water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 C. Bread Flour
- 1 2/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- Follow the instructions that came with your bread machine in terms of which ingredients to put in the bread machine first. With my machine (a Zojirushi Virtuoso Breadmaker), I add the liquid first.
- Check on the dough after five or ten minutes of kneading. It should be a smooth, round ball.
This is for a two pound bread machine.
Use the basic setting.
Zojirushi BB-PAC20BA BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker with Gluten Free Menu setting
Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 250mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 8g